Training Options and Schedule
Schedule and Locations
Contact David McGill (Training) email@example.com for more details. The language used at these training sessions will be English, contact our international distributors for training in other languages.
2021 and 2022 Online Training
Status: Registration Open
|Introduction to Pathfinder
13:00 UTC on Tuesday and Wednesday for two weeks, two hour sessions
|Online||Nov 16 and 17
Nov 23 and 24
Nov 30 and Dec 1
Dec 7 and 8
|Introduction to PyroSim/FDS
13:00 UTC on Tuesday and Wednesday for four weeks, two hour sessions
|Online||Jan 11 and 12
Jan 18 and 19
Jan 25 and 26
Feb 1 and 2
|Advanced PyroSim/FDS Workshop
13:00 UTC on Tuesday and Wednesday
for four weeks, two hour sessions
Click to register online and pay for a workshop.
If you want to express interest and be placed on an information mailing list, please indicate by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the event that a workshop must be canceled due to inadequate enrollment, all fees will be refunded in full. Thunderhead Engineering is not responsible for reimbursement of non-refundable airline tickets in the event of a workshop cancellation. Please check on your workshop status (indicated on schedule) before making travel arrangements.
International Training Partners
Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
Germany, Switzerland, Austria & Liechtenstein
Global Evolutionary Energy Design
First Floor, D-15 A.F Enclave – 1, Jamia Nagar
New Delhi, 110025
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Web: www.geedindia.org, www.firedynamics.in
Thunderhead Engineering provides training on the use of our software as described in the sections below. Pathfinder training is typically scheduled in conjunction with PyroSim workshops.
Who Should Attend
- Fire Investigators
- Fire Engineers
- Fire Safety System designers
- Smoke Management System designers
- Risk Management Consultants
- Insurance Assessors and Loss Adjusters
- Building Surveyors
- Small class size gives you more one‐on‐one time with the instructor
- Hands‐on application lets you learn from experience
- Current, relevant information keeps you up‐to‐date with industry knowledge
- Participants can pursue their FDS learning after the workshop through a supervised project with the instructor
- A 90‐day license for the software is provided
Online Workshops Now Available
Online workshops will be conducted on Zoom. Each participant will require a second screen so they can watch the instructor’s demonstration on one screen and follow along on their own screen. A microphone is required for asking questions, and a camera is a nice feature, although not mandatory.
The content is the same as the 2-day workshops described below.
PyroSim and FDS
FDS/PyroSim Online Workshop
This 16 hour workshop is an introduction to FDS and PyroSim. It gives the big picture and is suitable for beginning modellers, managers, and regulators. This workshop is delivered as 8 x 2 hour Zoom sessions. The workshop includes a 90 day license to PyroSim so that attendees can follow along. A second monitor is highly recommended. $1,000 USD workshop fee.
- Introduction to FDS and Smokeview
- Hardware and Software Requirements
- Elements of building a model
- Hands-on Construction of a Simple model using PyroSim (this will progress over the 8 sessions)using Results Viewer
- Data Collection
- Sprinklers and Suppression
- Performance-based Design, with Examples
- Forensic Reconstructions, with Examples
- Evaluating FDS Reports
- Strengths and Weaknesses of FDS
Advanced FDS/PyroSim Online Workshop
The advanced workshop will examine common practical problems encountered by fire protection engineers in creating and running FDS models efficiently. This workshop will not deal with research-level topics such as multi-layered materials, complex chemistry, or other subjects of primary interest to the research community.
The workshop is delivered as 8 x 2 hour Zoom sessions. Attendees should have prior experience with both FDS and PyroSim. This workshop includes a 90 day license to PyroSim so that attendees can follow along. A second monitor is highly recommended. $1,000 USD workshop fee.
- Choice of cell size
- Building models from CAD and Revit files
- Optimizing multiple meshes
- Trouble-shooting numerical instabilities
- Model validation and uncertainty
- Hardware and software
- How FDS models fires
- How FDS can and can’t extinguish a fire
- Liquid fuels
- Extra species
- Multiple reactions (lumped species)
- Advanced control features
- FDS review checklist
Pathfinder Online Workshop
This workshop is an introduction to Pathfinder for absolute beginners, covering modeling concepts with extensive hands-on application. This workshop is delivered as 4 x 2 hour Zoom sessions. The workshop includes a 90 day license to Pathfinder so that attendees can follow along. A second monitor is highly recommended. $500 USD workshop fee.
- Introduction to Evacuation Modelling
- Creating Geometry
- from an image
- from CAD files
- assisted evacuation
- Determining the Required Safe Egress Time (RSET) when combined with the results of a fire model
Contact RockWare for details about PetraSim training (PetraSim Training)